Sunday, 4 April 2010

schooldays

I had a few friends with whom I'd walk to assembly in school. I wasn't really very keen on the Morning Prayers. Two bells would be rung to call the little good girls- the 1st bell and the 2nd with a gap of a few minutes. 2nd bell would mean everyone trying to neatly and hopelessly file into the Big Hall. Mrs. Baruah's bus, on which I travelled from Class VI onwards always managed to reach just a few seconds before the 2nd bell, and everyone would rush out of the bus (I mean matador, calling it a bus is an insult to the very institution of a bus) and rush helter skelter towards the Big Hall. Anyone who is familiar with Loreto House and the two gates would know that the back gate i.e., the entrance from Middleton Street, and the Big Hall is considerable distance apart. Therefore this brisk run was not a pleasant task, not by any means. I would plague my friends, notably Ramona, muchly when we embarked on this brisk run....

for I would never run. It was a matter of principle. I would still trot gently at my own pace and often stare at the sky, or do something meaningless, and scrape through at the end. I would always be the last one to enter the auditorium. Sometimes I would even be barred and made to stand in the "Late Line" but by gad, I'd never run. Some people thought it was because I had a heavy bottom which looked ridiculous when I forced it to accompany me every time I broke into a brisk run. Some thought it was my chest, I would often grasp it and gasp for breath. Some even thought that I was plain lazy. Perhaps, conjectured a few who remembered their Radiant Reader poetry, it was those immortal lines by William Henry Davies- What is this life is full of care, we have no time to etc etc....I am yet to ascertain the true reason why I never cared for any of those goddamned bells. I never managed to get a hymn-book, and always had to sing from memory, and even then my memory sucked. Basically, what I did was-
1. I'd trot, I'd amble, I'd meander, in short I drove Ramona et al crazy.
2.Will you walk a little faster???!!! they would thunder at me. I would then warble in angelic tones Will you walk a little faster? said the whiting to the snail. There's a porpoise close behind us and he's treading on my....*2nd bell*
3. I would grumble and grumble and grumble, until even I was ashamed of myself. Then I would shake my hips-i.e., my buttocks would jiggle, i.e., my bum would move 5 inches behind the rest of my body, i.e, I would run.

I still run, but hey, in my mind!

10 comments:

Baudolino said...

"...is cute" is a function which takes Ahona as an argument and maps to the True.

Baudolino said...

Thus spake Gottlob Frege.

storyteller said...

This is why you are my soul sister.Btw Leos in general prefer to have a poised walk rather than run in an undignified way.(Or that is the excuse that lazy leos like us give, it works,try it)

Soapsuds said...

:) jiggly wiggly isn't too bad, you know! Its all in the mind...

Royal Bengal Tigress said...

In Class 11 I would usually arrive after the 2nd bell and hide out in the loo till assembly was over . And I remember you standing in the 'Late Line'- proud and pugnacious.

Holy Ghost said...

In short, you ran like a dinosaur.

A Benevolent Sultan for Life said...

:)

仁南 said...

It's great!!.............................................

Anushka said...

I was a prefect in class 12, and Every Week, I had to give 'assembly duty.' I cannot explain to you my emotions during that weekly hour- trying to enforce discipline during a ritual that I disrupted for the past 13 years of my school life. Ki trauma, ki trauma.

Elendil said...

You are, bizarrely, exactly half way between being incredibly bong and incredibly rock star.