Tuesday, 12 January 2010

kittens,winter, etc

In winter one can see corpses of dead animals lying on the road. I used to think the Calcutta winter can never take life, but now I see that some animals are more vulnerable than others. So the winter that Foxy or I can cheat, a crow or a stupider puppy may not. This disturbs me. Some time back I saw a beautiful kitten on my way to university and I stopped to admire it. Then I saw it was not curled up in the comfort of the midday sun, but in death. It looked fragile and sad, and curiously alive. The only manifestation of death was a long train of ants that crawled into the mouth. I was late, and horrified, and ran away. But the image lingered. I hoped the corpse would be soon taken care of, my para is a reasonably nice one. The next morning the little kitten lay, stiffened and ugly, neglected and forgotten. I resolved that I would be back by the evening, and when I came back, I saw it was gone.

Can the mind be in rigor mortis?

The winter sunshine is slowly becoming warmer. Seasons change, kittens die and are born, and the world forgets these kittens and us. We drink tea, smoke, and discuss and write. Some clever people solve sums, and some people become immortal. Some very clever people make money. Some cleverer people do not make money.

And everyone wails, laments, laughs and condemns.

Life is so delightfully irrelevant, nest-ce-pas? To relieve oneself of this tedium one must smoke, drink alcohol and caffeine in copious quantities, see Paris, Prague and Kashmir, learn to speak francaise, and then emulate my little kitten.

Not waving, but drowning meanwhile! ;)

9 comments:

Rahul Saha said...

Your post brings to mind Kenny Rogers'Gambler, "the best you can hope for is to die in your sleep." This is funny given that your post also talks of a confusion between death and sleep.

ramya sriram said...

delightfully irrelevant. i like. i shall go about announcing how delightfully irrelevant everything is now.

Elendil said...

I had a paranormal experience that has convinced me that death is not the end of all things. More on this later.

Magically Bored said...

Poor kitty. :(
I feel so utterly depressed whenever I see dead animals lying on the road - kittens or dogs. Makes me feel vulnerable, makes me feel that everything is totally pointless.
But the world carries on. Like it must.

Holy Ghost said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Holy Ghost said...

As for Prayag, Matsya Avatar nivaham kal api sarpam, mleccha nivaham Keshavam hamburger-um, hotdogsum, frankfurterums....ashwathama iti gajah!

Anushka said...

I really like the way you write. It's powerful and witty, and doesn't compromise on either sector.
Hello, after a long while.

Priyanka said...

No no, wave some more =)

Madhuri said...

Heartbreaking Ahona, this too shall pass ...