Friday, 18 December 2009

la di da

I have painted my room
Shades of red and green
And

My heart is clean.

As for my head.
Along with my former bed
It is dead.

No! Non! I am attending many interesting seminars. Today I heard one Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak from Columbia University come to deliver a talk to The University of Jadavpur. Nobody was asking her a question. Do you wonder why? (She is rude.) She is also condescending. Something about "shivering with delight" at the mention of Foucault. We poor Jadavporeans. Alas, poor Yorick!

The subaltern cannot speak.

P.S. Now the nice things. She is really interesting to listen to, because she is funny and her cleverness sort of compensated for the fact that I will never understand terms like "reproductive heteronormativity". My limit is "organizing principle" or "hermeneutic loop". I wish myself a happy and prosperous life as an academic. :D

6 comments:

precisely said...

Ahh, missed it. But i had a blissful day college street e, so nya nya nya nya nya.

But do tell me about Spivak's talk today, later. ok?

the soliloquist said...

I really wanted attend that lecture. But had some stoopid stuff that needed to be done. :(
Anyway.

Grigori Rasputin said...

People who condemn Spivak are as bad as people who praise her. For they listen to her. Alas! The subaltern cannot speak, but she aspires to speak.

storyteller said...

Even I wanted to attend,sigh :P

Elendil said...

If one's success as an academic is measured by one's use of jargon, I don't want to become one for sure.

Rahul Saha said...

I ran into a person today who said, "I feel truly alive when I speak about competition law."