Sunday, 22 July 2007

Potter&Me

Once upon a time there was another universe for children created by a woman who earned lots of money.
I grew up in that universe.It was an intrinsic part of my formative years, my puberty, my teenaged years and just as I'm about to leave my teenage behind, Harry ends.
About a year back, college was a big thing...couln't be seen as a Pottermaniac...wasn't quite cool. Those were things left behind.Like bikele khelte jawa and Dexter's Laboratory.Besides, I wasn't a fantasy-fiction addict-that is to say, that I had read a lot of the stuff but I was not completely into it. No such parallel world was mine, as was the world of Harry Potter. I couldn't imagine the psyche of a true LOTR fan.It just didn't include ME in that world. I was an outsider, not there sukhe dukhhe.
Harry Potter happened to me when I was in Class 6. 11 years old.And that was it. This series has been a phenomenon, a cult phenomenon.The prose is nothing fancy, elaborate but...
The issues?Universal.
The style?Addictive.
The characters?Flawed.But capable of much greatness.
I keep trying to analyse what makes these books so powerful, but tonight I can't do that. For I have just finished the Deathly Hallows.And my heart is quite constricted.Such is the magic they have wrought.
Not one for criticism, this.
Purely for magical purposes only.

9 comments:

"sen"sational said...

'purely for magical purposes only'. :)

Amen.

Elendil said...

Hmm.. the end of an era.. agreed. It has been good. Even from the perspective of the mad FantasyFic fan.

anurima said...

:)

Arse Poetica said...

*sigh, sniff,sob*

ruby tuesday said...

*silent*

*sobs*

Jadis said...

"...couln't be seen as a Pottermaniac...wasn't quite cool."
:O


and now?
:)

Stormling said...

I can't quite grasp the fact that there will be no more of it even now after that ghastly 19 years after chapter...

:(

Arse Poetica said...

that was between half blood prince, and deathly hallows...and i was busy with other things.

i think teddy lupin and albus severus will have a series dedicated to their adventures...what say you?

mojo said...

i agree,